Christmas and New Year’s Eve



Christmas ... like everything in life, depends on the prism through which you look. I could say it's the era of consumerism, waste, that there are only toys advertisements, or that we do not really know the meaning of Christmas...
But ... what the hell!! I like meals and family dinners, snacks with friends, street lights, holidays, parties, I like when we say a thousand of times “Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year"; I also love gifts, kisses here and there, the moments before, during and after the New Year... Moreover, I like that good aura that people have, generally speaking, this period ... and so many other things!

I can assure that the fact of being far from my home in Spain makes me appreciate and value it twice.
It is the second Christmas I am not in Spain, but it does not mean that I can´t enjoy this time in Bulgaria!
Here they also have a strong Christmas tradition. At the Elderly House centre we helped the staff with the decoration of the whole centre. We really enjoyed working with some of the residents here.
The Daily Care Centre also decorated its building. It was nice when one afternoon the children’s parents came and help us to decorate the different rooms.
I was happy when I realised that Bulgarian people also have the tradition of the shepherds! In both centres a different group of young people came in their traditional costumes to sing and dance traditional songs. It reminded me when I was a child and I was dressed in similar costumes. I was delighted because this kind of events helps us learn a lot about a country.
Lourdes and I were abroad during the most important days, it is, 24th of December and 31st of December. On the first date we were in Istanbul were they don’t follow these traditions, but Lourdes and me made our own celebration; we went to the Turkish baths in the afternoon and later we had a special Turkish dinner with one of the most traditional and delicious dishes there.
In New Year’s Eve we were in Thessaloniki, Greece. In Spain, the last 12 seconds of the year we eat 12 grapes, one in each second, which represents the 12 months of a year. If you finish the 12 grapes in time you are supposed to have good luck during the next year. In Greece they don’t have this tradition but it was very nice making the countdown in Greek, and after that beautiful fireworks!
To finish, I will say that we had a very interesting time and we won’t forget it for the rest of our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment